- This event has passed.
Greystanes Parish Biblical Studies Part 2
February 6, 2020 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Throughout the month of February, Fr Joseph Lam from Our Lady, Queen of Peace Parish, Greystanes, will run a series of biblical studies on Prophetic Literature in the Old Testament. Sessions will be held at the parish every Thursday in February and on 5 March from 7.30pm to 9pm. Registrations are essential by email@example.com, where you can also obtain the recommended reading list.
“Prophets are fools,” you say. “And God’s messengers are crazy.” – Hosea 9:7
Our Lady Queen of Peace – Biblical Studies, part II
When modern folks talk about “prophets” and “prophecy,” they’re often referring to someone foretelling future events. However, in the Bible, the prophets played a much larger role. In the Old Testament, a prophet has the role of holding people accountable to the God of Israel. They do this through the ministry of prophecy.
Throughout the months of February 2020 we will study the historical, literary, and theological aspects of Prophetic Literature in the Old Testament. Hence, we will make attempts to…
(1) describe the major issues and themes of Old Testament Prophetic Literature;
(2) learn the historical background to and theological issues of the Old Testament Literature;
(3) evaluate / relate the prophetic message to our contexts (life, church and socio-economical issues)
In order to prepare for the evening presentation, please read the following Old Testament passages:
1. Read: Amos chs. 1-3; 5; 7:10-17; 9; Hosea chs. 1-4, 9, 11, 14;
2. Read: Micah chs. 1-7;
3. Read: Isaiah chs. 1-13, 36-37; chs. 40-42, 44-46, 53, 60-61, 65;
4. Read: Jeremiah chs. 1-3, 18-20, 25-31;
5. Read: Ezekiel chs. 1-5, 18, 24, 33-34, 37, 43:1-12;
6. Read: Malachi 1-4, Joel 1-3;
7. Read: Deut 18:9-22; II Sam. 7:1-17; I Kings 17-19; II Kings 2 & 4;
Presenter: Fr. Joseph Lam, PhD STD
Venue: Our Lady Queen of Peace, Greystanes (SGP Center)
Dates: 6th / 13th / 20th / 27th/ February and 05th March 2020, from 7.30 – 9.00pm
For registration: firstname.lastname@example.org [essential] Cost: Donation welcome (to cover the basics, such as photocopy, air-con, cleaning, refreshment etc.)