Natural Family Planning (NFP) is a way of understanding and observing the natural signs and symptoms of a woman’s menstrual cycle to determine her fertile and infertile times. This method can be used to either achieve or avoid pregnancy, depending on the couple’s intentions. The Diocese of Parramatta offers courses on three different Natural Family Planning methods: The Billings Ovulation Method®, the Sympto-Thermal Method and the Creighton Model FertilityCare™ System.
How does NFP work?
NFP is a scientifically proven method that relies on observing and interpreting the natural signs and symptoms of a woman’s menstrual cycle to identify her fertile and infertile periods. This knowledge can be used to either achieve or postpone pregnancy, depending on the couple’s intentions.
Natural Family Planning (NFP) offers a holistic approach to understanding your body’s natural rhythms, empowering you to make informed decisions about your fertility.
The Benefits of NFP: A Natural Choice for Managing Fertility
NFP offers numerous advantages over other family planning methods:
- Natural and Hormone-Free: NFP does not involve the use of hormones or devices, making it a suitable option for couples seeking a natural and hormone-free approach.
- High Efficacy: When used correctly, NFP can be as effective as hormonal birth control methods.
- Cost-Effective: NFP is a cost-effective method, requiring no ongoing expenses.
- Enhanced Intimacy: NFP can deepen communication and intimacy between partners as they work together to understand and respect each other’s bodies.
How and Where to Learn NFP
Accredited educators provide professional instruction to couples. They provide regular support, especially during the learning phase so that the method chosen can be used effectively to achieve the desired goals.
Confidential day/evening appointments for you and your Fiancé/Spouse are available through Natural Fertility, Diocese of Parramatta.
The Sympto-Thermal Method (STM) offers instruction remotely as well as face to face. Please use the form to book your Billings, STM or Creighton Model FertiltiyCare System appointment or call/email Catherine Bourne for other appointment availabilities.
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do… but how much love we put in that action.
St. Teresa of Calcutta
The Billings Ovulation Method®
Used by millions of women around the world and successfully trialled by the World Health Organisation:
- It is a natural method where a couple are taught to recognise both the fertile patterns of cervical mucus and the infertile patterns of discharge which is unique to the Billings Ovulation Method.
- Can be used to assist in achieving or postponing a pregnancy. It helps you safeguard your reproductive health.
- It is reliable and able to be used throughout the woman’s reproductive life.
* If your chart does not reflect a normal ovulatory pattern for your life stage, your teacher will give you a referral back to your doctor for further investigation.
The Sympto-Thermal Method
Relies on couples observing a number of signs of ovulation (multi-indicator approach):
- Cervical mucus indicating ovulation.
- Body temperature shifts after ovulation.
- Other useful indicators of fertility that are individual to each woman.
Educators are members of the Australian Council of Natural Family Planning.
The Creighton Model FertilityCare™ System
Practitioners teach couples to observe cervical mucus to determine their time of fertility & infertility:
- Observe and record their mucus using a standardised system.
- This system monitors/detects reproductive disorders e.g. PCOS, PMS and infertility.
- Used in conjunction with NaPro (Natural Procreative) Technology for treatment of reproductive disorders and infertility. NaPro GPs aim to investigate and restore reproductive health.
* Comparable success rates to IVF for treating infertility.