The Congregation of Christian Brothers was founded in Ireland in 1802 to educate the poor and received Papal approval in 1820. Three brothers arrived in Australia first in Sydney in 1843, departing in 1847 after a dispute regarding canonical authority. They returned to Melbourne in 1868 and began their work in establishing schools. Their focus has been on education and welfare across Oceania. In recent years Christian Brothers’ schools have been transferred to Edmund Rice Education Australia (EREA).